A foreign national who is legally authorized to enter Canada for temporary purposes is considered a temporary resident. You can enter and/or remain in Canada as a visitor, student, worker or as a temporary resident permit holder by applying to one of the following programs:

  • Temporary resident visa (visitor visa or super visa)
  • Electronic travel authorization (ETA)
  • Study permit
  • Work permit
  • Temporary resident permit


To become a permanent resident of Canada you need to immigrate. You can immigrate to Canada through the following programs:

  • Federal Skilled Worker Program (Express Entry)
  • Federal Skilled Trades Program (Express Entry)
  • Canadian Experience Class (Express Entry)
  • Provincial Nominee Programs
  • Atlantic Immigration Pilot Program
  • Family Class Sponsorship
  • Start-up Visa
  • Rural and Northern Immigration Pilot
  • Caregivers
  • Self-employed
  • Refugees

Other Immigration Services

  • Citizenship
  • Restoration of status
  • Extension of visas and permits
  • Pre-Removal Risk Assessment (PRRA)
  • Authorization to Return to Canada (ARC)
  • Humanitarian & Compassionate Grounds (H&C)
  • Rehabilitation
  • Permanent Resident Cards
  • Other